Michael Lazin on 25 Jul 2006 00:30:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Has anyone used Cavalier Telephone?

Verizon offers a dry loop line at a reasonable price.  I am getting a dry line for 24 bucks a month.  Unfortunately it is only 768k at that price, but still, it is very reasonable.

Michael

On 7/24/06, Ottey, Daniel William <Daniel.Ottey@unisys.com> wrote:
I have Verizon DSL at home, and they do block port 80 - which just makes
an annoyance that I have to run my webserver on 81.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Dan Widyono
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 2:41 PM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Cc: Daniel Widyono
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Has anyone used Cavalier Telephone?

I used them for almost a year.  It's $50 plus taxes plus etc. etc. which
ends up around $70 per month, for some sorry speeds (About 64KB/s down
in my experience, and something miserable up).  On the other hand, I run
my own web server and have a static IP address (that was the reason I
got them).  I plan to choke on my laziness and try to set up dynamic DNS
for the first time so I can try Verizon DHCP (assuming they don't block
port 80).  All in all, I don't think Cavtel's base offer was all that
hot since I wasn't using the phone service at all (I have a cel phone).

What was the Speakeasy dry-line price?  It might be worth it since one
wouldn't have to pay all the taxes and "fees" for an unused phone line.

Dan W.