Tom Diehl on 25 Jul 2006 01:26:45 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Has anyone used Cavalier Telephone?

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, TuskenTower wrote:

All,
I don't currently have a land line and I just got out of Comcast's
cable Internet promo period (29.99/mo).  So I'm looking for a
telephone company (no VOIP for me) and DSL provider.  CavTel is
offering a DSL+Phone package for $50, which is cheaper than getting a
phone line + DSL (from Earthlink or Speakeasy) or a dry-line
(Speakeasy).

Does anyone have any experience with CavTel?  I checked dslreports and
searched to see if CavTel blocks port 80.  This website,
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/isp-hot-list.html, lists CavTel as an
ISP that doesn't block port 80.  Other than that I can't find anything
definitive (and I don't feel like getting lied to by sales).

I have been using CavTel for fone and backup Internet for about a year.

The fone "just works" and the DSL works most if the time. Every once in awhile it will die. Rebooting the modem has gotten it working every time
except for one time right after a storm. The storm took out a telephone
on my non-CavTel fone line, and the router on my speakeasy/covad circuit.

Fixing the CavTel circuit required a call to CavTel tech support and about
2 minutes of the tech making some adjustments.

I only use it for large dloads but I routinely see 800-900 k/sec down.
I get about 80 k/sec up. They do not block 80 or 25, the ip address is static
but you can only get 1. Overall not bad for $25.00 /mo. + the taxes. As someone
else stated once you add all of the taxes the fone and DSL runs about $70.00.

FWIW, I am in Langhorne.

Regards,

Tom