Gary Coulbourne on 31 Jul 2006 19:37:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] what would cause this...?

On Jul 31, 2006, at 3:31 PM, George Gallen wrote:

but no matter which directory you cd to, if you 'ls' you would get a Segment Fault
if you did a "ps -ef" it would only show you a 3 or so processes (even as root)

But If I ftp'd in, I could ls directories fine.

I would suspect that the c library (/lib/libc.so) was corrupted... ftp usually has it's own copy, and so connections through there would work while ordinary logins would have trouble.  I've seen machines where someone tried to upgrade libc and screwed it up, and they almost always show the behavior you describe.

Peace,
Gary