George Gallen on 31 Jul 2006 19:31:49 -0000

[PLUG] what would cause this...?

Title: what would cause this...?

Prior to our system chase this am...

If you log on, the log on process seemed normal.
but no matter which directory you cd to, if you 'ls' you would get a Segment Fault
if you did a "ps -ef" it would only show you a 3 or so processes (even as root)

But If I ftp'd in, I could ls directories fine.

After our aborted (but partially started) RH 8.0 upgrade, I found a psdevtab file in my /tmp directory
  that was created around the time, I first noticed the problem this am (when I logged in).

Considering our system had been up for 480 something days, I figured a reboot might have been
  in order, when was when all hell broke loose, and it got stuck on the reboot... :(

George Gallen
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Accounting/Data Division
ggallen@slackinc.com
ph:856.848.1000 Ext 220

SLACK Incorporated - Delivering the best in health care information and education worldwide.
http://www.slackinc.com