Stephen Gran on 31 Jul 2006 20:19:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] what would cause this...?

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 03:31:25PM -0400, George Gallen said:
> Prior to our system chase this am...
>
> If you log on, the log on process seemed normal.  but no matter which
> directory you cd to, if you 'ls' you would get a Segment Fault if you
> did a "ps -ef" it would only show you a 3 or so processes (even as
> root)
>
> But If I ftp'd in, I could ls directories fine.
>
> After our aborted (but partially started) RH 8.0 upgrade, I found a
> psdevtab file in my /tmp directory that was created around the time, I
> first noticed the problem this am (when I logged in).
>
> Considering our system had been up for 480 something days, I figured a
> reboot might have been in order, when was when all hell broke loose,
> and it got stuck on the reboot... :(

Could you have been rooted?

http://www.cgsecurity.org/Articles/sotm29/analysis_rk.html
seems to suggest /tmp/psdevtab may be associated with a trojaned ps
binary.  If the system has been up for over a year, it is sure to have
had kernel vulnerabilities.

Good luck.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Sometimes, too long is too long.   --   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | Joe Crowe                               |