sean finney on 1 Aug 2006 21:22:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] restoring from a backup tape....

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 05:00:54PM -0400, George Gallen wrote:
> How do you "restore" a latest version, and still keep all your old
> user accounts, network settings, system settings (/etc)?

familiarity with the operating system, knowing what goes where.

i'd install from scratch, do some basic manual setup (ip address, root
password), and then pick and choose things as you need them from the
backup media (you can restore to a directory other than "/", btw).

> Once we are back up, then we can plan and setup a latest greatest when
> we have time to not be out of business. In our case, time IS money.

if that's the issue, you should just get a seperate box, install
something on it, and play with this system when you're not so
much under pressure.  with loss of man-hours as well as prospective
income (don't recall what the server was for), opting for
new hardware would probably save you money.

alternatively, if you're fairly sure it's the hard disk at fault you could
buy a new hard disk, boot from a live cd, mkfs the drive and restore
onto it from the backup media.

	sean