Stephen Gran on 2 Aug 2006 16:41:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] fuser hangs

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 10:22:17AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 02:54:24PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> >   [32 lines, 217 words, 1498 characters]  Top characters: -eotsarn
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 08:23:27AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
>
> > On a side note, mozilla-browser is dead upstream.  It's time to find a
> > new favorite browser.
>
> Yeah.  I'm open to suggestions.  I installed firefox but found it a
> bit busy and not to my liking.  It also has some weird behavior on
> page-up/page-down that I can't get over.  (I reported the bug, the
> maintainer sees different behavior, I still see it with a pref-less
> install.)
>
> I should probably play with it more, since the whole world seems to
> like firefox, which means all other browsers will tend to behave like
> it sooner or later...

gecko based browsers (like mozilla):
mozilla, firefox, epiphany, galeon, and the firthcoming (maybe already
out?) seamonkey.

khtml browsers:
konqueror, camino, and apple OSX's safari

I really want to like seamonkey, even though I haven't tried it, just
because of the name.

> > As to why fuser hangs, I have no idea - strace will probably tell
> > you better than I can guess.  That sounds like a bug worth
> > reporting.
>
> You are the voice of wisdom, as always.  The fuser hang is because of
> a stat call on /proc/31352/cwd, which corresponds to a bash process
> whose cwd is on an NFS (actually SFS) mount but whose server is
> currently down.  I'm not sure that that's a bug in fuser so much as a
> conceptual bug in the file system. ;-)

Ah, that'll do it.  Try using soft mounts for NFS shares.  mount(8) for
details.  It's annoying when your filesystem goes away.
|  Stephen Gran                  | No group of professionals meets except  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | to conspire against the public at       |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | large.   -- Mark Twain                  |