George Gallen on 2 Aug 2006 23:14:05 -0000

RE: [PLUG] are there any forbidden group names? or numbers?

didn't know about getent or id.

id actually was more helpful.

as below:
uid=500(george) gid=100 groups=100,0(root),12(mail),31(sysprog1),32(sysprog2),50
(ftp),51(smmsp),54(lock),99(nobody),21,554,555,600

I started putting my name in all the groups to find out which one it stopped at,
Until I can come up with something, I'll put all the system groups up front, and
leave the hugh one at the end.

It seems to stop finding group names at one group name
  one that has about 50 or 60 names in the group. All
  separated by commas, no weird characters.

the getent didn't show anything too different that cating

Thanks
George

Guess RH 8.0 is a more demanding on group files than 7.2 was....