Art Alexion on 2 Aug 2006 23:05:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Setting up Verizon DSL WITHOUT their software...

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 11:17, Guillermo Moyna wrote:
> Hodwy All,
>
> I decided to put my modem connection out to pasture and signed up
> with Verizon for their cheap $15 DSL service. Since I have Mac OSX I
> am foreseeing that trying to get my PPPoE account with their icky
> software will be impossible. Even if it is possible, I don't want to
> use it. All I need is to get a username/password to use with my
> Airport PPPoE setup.
>
> Is their an alternative way of doing this that does not involve
> calling them? I googled it and found that there is a web-site that
> could be used to do this (https://dslreg.verizon.net). However, all
> the postings about it where pretty old, and Verizon does not have any
> mention of this site on their documentation. Anyone knows if this
> will work?

I have had two Verizon setups to OSX sans-vz software.  One was an ethernet
network with an Ubuntu box and the ip masq features of rp-pppoe as the
router.  Just added the OSX IP to etc/hosts and it worked.  The current setup
is with a verizon supplied wireless router/modem.  The OSX laptop detected
the wireless signal.  I entered the security key from the router into the
login box and have been connected ever since.  No extra software on the OSX
laptop.

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.