Greg Lopp on 3 Aug 2006 14:13:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] verizon\DSL\ssh?

First question: determine whether the problem is Verizon (blocking ports), router or sshd configuration.

Suggestions:
1) fire up a sniffer (ethereal or tcpdump) and have it watch for packet destined for port 22. Try to connect from outside your network. Anything show up?
2) Take a look at /etc/ssh/sshd_config Anything in there (ListenAddress ?) suggest that sshd would ignore packets that appear to come from your router?
3) Does the router have an interface that allows you to log certain activity? Like traffic it rejects or incoming port 22 activity?

Jeff Watson wrote:
I have set up sshd on one of the servers at my house. I can ssh to it from any computer inside the network, so i know that the service is operating correctly. I have the proper port forwarding opened up on my router, yet i cannot connect to my machine from beyond my router. Is there something i am overlooking? Tried Verizon Tech support to see if maybe they would steer me on the right path, unfortunately they had no idea what ssh was and decided that my router wasnt supported for filesharing?!! not even the issue. Anyway, has anyone done this? Maybe they block this service further on down the line unless you are a business DSL consumer?

-Jeff
-RedGibson@gmail.com <mailto:RedGibson@gmail.com>