Isaac Bennetch on 3 Aug 2006 14:21:51 -0000

Re: [PLUG] verizon\DSL\ssh?

I too am on Verizon DSL and can ssh back in without trouble (in fact
now better than ever, I used to have timeout problems). By the way,
for those who are interested, they do block http traffic but not https
or port 8080, so running a webserver for personal use isn't that bad,
though the latency and outbound bandwidth aren't the greatest.

All I had to do with my Westell 2200 is go in the "Service" menu to
"Service Configuration", define a custom service and tell it to direct
that traffic to my Linux box. Guillermo suggested pinging the router,
but I believe my router just drops ping packets (though the port scan
suggested should work)...though my router can be (temporarily!)
configured to allow access from the outside to configure the router;
that's one way to test it...if you're able to see the router's login
page you know your packets get that far, at least. I may have a couple
of other ideas but will wait to see what the other (more experienced)
list members have to say first...

~isaac