Randy Schmidt on 3 Aug 2006 16:30:27 -0000

[PLUG] OT, but applicable -> Photo Family Tree

I have an itch that I am trying to scratch.

I recently got married and I am going through the experience of
figuring out my wife's (and I guess mine now too) immense family. She
tries to explain all of the members to me and how they are related,
but that is close to useless because I can't SEE how they are related.

So I started playing with the idea of making a little webapp to help
solve my problem. The first iteration I think is going to be simply
upload images, tag them with the names of the people in the photos,
and enable simple parent/child relationships. I can do that and it
will scratch my own itch, but I want input for the next part.

I really think it would be neat to see where somewhat separate
families join. I think there are two approaches to how this could be
done. I could make it so that people install it on their own servers
then those installs talk to each other or I could try to host it and
have it be one HUGE family tree.

So how it would work is someone could be browsing all the images in a
tag, and at the bottom of every page, there are links to the other
people in the image. The user can jump from one gallery to another. If
the user finds an image that doesn't have tags, and they know who the
people are, they can go ahead and tag it.

It could get a little messy since all the tags are people's names,
there could be tag overlap, incorrect spelling for someone's name,
etc.

It shouldn't be messy on a per-family basis, and I'm at least going to
make the app for my own user, but I thought I would get input from
some other people.

Names...PhotoFamilyTree is already something, I was thinking
PhotoFamilyFlower...any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
--
Randy Schmidt
x@altorg.com