George Gallen on 3 Aug 2006 17:04:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] OT, but applicable -> Photo Family Tree

save yourself a lot of time, pickup the Family Tree Maker software

It makes the job fairly easy for entering the information,
and it will also store photos, and as address books.

Afterwards you can make a pdf of the relationship tree which includes
photos, it's pretty nice.

Although, it's a windows app

There are free programs out there, I have never really worked with them,
then there is the fee to ancestery.com when you want to start digging
to go back further than what can be remembered using census infomation.

Over the last 2 years, I've compiled about 600 names so far, both my
wifes family and mine, and family's family, etc. it's at a point where
I can't print out a "full" tree because it's too confusing, so I can
only print main branches at a time.

Do it now, before people forget. It's great for the grand parents to
view photos, and tell stories about who is who, who married who.

My wifes grandmother was so excited to talk about it, apparantly no one
else in the family has much interest in their "family" other than 2 generations,
once that oldest link is gone, it's almost impossible to track backwards.

I made up a questionaire that asked for Mother/father/brothers/sisters/wife
and Birthdate, deathdate, marraige dates, children names and such, and also
asked to include photos (which would be returned if needed).

Good luck...Email me if you need any search information on ancestery.com, my
membership doesn't expire until March next year...