Jon Nelson on 3 Aug 2006 18:03:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] initrd/udev hell...again

sean finney wrote:
> hey jon,
>
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 03:21:43PM -0400, Jon Nelson wrote:
>> I installed 2.6 kernels (2.6.12-1-k7, 2.6.15-1-k7, 2.6.16-2-k7) via
aptitude, which told me to purge hotplug and install udev.  After doing
that the new kernel wont boot.  The last thing I see on the screen is:
>>     savedefault
>>     boot
>> Then the system reboots.
>
> is the kernel loading at all before it reboots?  if you're not sure you
> should try messing around in the grub shell at the bootloader menu to
see if
> there's some cmdline options that disclose/fix the problem.  if the
> pre-initrd loading causes the reboot, maybe booting with different args
> (like noapic or something) might circumvent it?

Well I messed around with the GRUB shell and I have found that the 'boot'
command appears to be the culprit.  That command boots the OS so is that
indicating that my kernel is hosed?

Also, I have found out that initrd is no longer supported and that
initramfs is taking its place.  I have tried adding adding 'reiserfs' and
running  to conf/modules 'update-initramfs', but still no joy.

Arrrrgh!

Jon