chrisb on 4 Aug 2006 03:01:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ubuntu and wpa wireless - semi/mostly solved

On 3 Aug 2006, Mike Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:

> Which did diddly for me, as I had to issue it manually. I tried :
>
> iface ath0 inet dhcp
>   pre-up wpa_supplicant -B -iath0 -Dmadwifi
>   down skill wpa_supplicant
>
> in /etc/network/interfaces, which did the same (i.e., nothing).
>
> So what am I missing now, to get this to happen automatically?

This works for me on Knoppix:

1. wpa_passphrase <your_ssid> <your_passphrase> > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
2. chmod 640 /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
3. wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dmadwifi -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
4. pump -i ath0

HTH.

By the way, Winders has become very stable, and Linux a PITA on
the desktop for me.

I mostly using linux via screen via putty/ssh.  Emacs in
putty/ssh, too.

It's a shame linux got nowhere with laptop vendors.  Knoppix is
all there is.

Chris