Mike Leone on 4 Aug 2006 03:54:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ubuntu and wpa wireless - semi/mostly solved

chrisb@kippona.com wrote:
On 3 Aug 2006, Mike Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:

Which did diddly for me, as I had to issue it manually. I tried :

iface ath0 inet dhcp
  pre-up wpa_supplicant -B -iath0 -Dmadwifi
  down skill wpa_supplicant

in /etc/network/interfaces, which did the same (i.e., nothing).

So what am I missing now, to get this to happen automatically?

This works for me on Knoppix:

1. wpa_passphrase <your_ssid> <your_passphrase> > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
2. chmod 640 /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
3. wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dmadwifi -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
4. pump -i ath0

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm doing (altho I may have forgotten the chmod); I'd just like to automate it. Can't figure out where in the boot process it isn't working, nor how to easily add it as a last step before the login prompt happens.

HTH.

By the way, Winders has become very stable, and Linux a PITA on
the desktop for me.

I hear ya. :-(

I mostly using linux via screen via putty/ssh.  Emacs in
putty/ssh, too.

Yep; mostly I read email remotely using mutt over putty/ssh using screen. A great thing, screen - I remember Darxus raving about it once.

It's a shame linux got nowhere with laptop vendors.  Knoppix is
all there is.

I figured that since I had kubuntu going, I'd try and watch some AVI files across my LAN. Nope; no DivX codec. No binary that I could find (well, nothing official). Installed the w32codecs package, which is supposed to contain it; still won't play. (and not sure if I chose the right debian-multimedia.org repository, since mplayer installation complained of many broken packages, when I thought I'd install that (which should play anything under Linux).

Then I installed Thunderbird to read my IMAP email; on Linux, apparently there's a bug, where you can't copy and paste using Thunderbird. A real aggravation (which I'm sure will be fixed at some point). And I don't quite like Kontact/Kmail, and installing Evolution wanted to drag in way too much Gnome stuff, just to read email. I coulda used mutt, but after all the aggravation to get a decent GUI-oriented distribution installed, I didn't feel like staying at the command line to read email (altho I prefer to install packages that way). I didn't even try reading my Camera RAW files.

So I booted back into WinXP and watched my stuff, and answered some email. I'll get back to the kubuntu later. Linux is great for servers; not for desktops yet, I don't think.

But if anyone can help with the WPA daemon issue, or the other things I came across, I'd love to hear about it.