Jason on 5 Aug 2006 17:43:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: notebook drives

On 8/3/06, gyoza@comcast.net <gyoza@comcast.net> wrote:
OT: I know enough about PC drives, but it isn't that often that I
replace a notebook drive.  What should I look for when upgrading a
notebook hard drive?  I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 currently with a 30GB
drive.  What brands and specs are desirable?

For IDE drives, personally, I only trust 3 brands. Seagate, Seagate and oh yeah, Seagate. I've had periods of good & bad luck with WD, and never had a good feeling about Maxtor drives. Seagate has yet to disappoint. Their drives fail, just like anyone else's, but most of their drives have a 5 year warranty!

As far as what drive aspects to consider, mostly the same as a desktop
drive.  Rotational speed and capacity are the big ones.