Randy Schmidt on 10 Aug 2006 01:19:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] SLED

Yeah, i watched the demo and I'm downloading the demo. I think I might
dedicate one of my computers to just trying different linux distros
:-P

On 8/8/06, Lee Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:
Walt Frampus wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 23:47 -0400, Randy Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Has anybody tried SLED? Any thoughts?
>>
>> http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Haven't tried it but looks interesting. Watched the Demo and am
> downloading the trial DVD. I have always used suse from version 8.2 on.
>
> Walt

It's getting really good reviews:
SLED 10 Is a Linux Distro Windows Users Can Love
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1999280,00.asp?kc=EWEWEMNL080706EPW5B

There is a link on the above page for the 60 day eval.

I've used SuSE from 7 on.  The encrypted home partition on install is really
nice for a laptop.   OpenSuSE also works well if you don't mind installing
flash, mp3 drivers, etc yourself.

Also a nice graphical ssh-add program can prompt you for your ssh
key passphrase at login.  ( tested in OpenSuSE 10.1 )
http://en.opensuse.org/Using_ssh-agent_globally_for_X_session

Lee Marzke

Randy Schmidt
x@altorg.com