sean finney on 15 Aug 2006 11:34:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] 64 bits

hi,

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 10:55:46AM +0000, Jabberwocky wrote:
> So, what's your experience with, opinion of, 64 bit Linux distros, and 64 bit laptops with support for 4 GB RAM and fast hard drives, and using vmware on 64 bit hardware/OS?

in general most of them "just work"(tm).  the biggest problems you will
have will probably be with 3rd party (more precisely, proprietary)
software not available in 64-bit form.  the support available varies
from distro to distro for so-called multiarch support though in the past
couple years it's gotten much much better.

- specifically, i know that some versions of vmware require a 32-bit perl
  interpreter and libraries, the former of which is not always available
  in 64-bit distros.

- i don't believe there's a 32-bit skype, though on my debian/ubuntu
  systems i can still install it along with the ia32 libs packages.

- likewise for google earth, cedega, and others.

	sean