Jeff Abrahamson on 23 Aug 2006 22:21:54 -0000

[PLUG] pointers for newbies by us oldies

What do you guys give to the computer literate but not computer expert
person who expresses interest in linux?  I'd like to give a small
number of useful URL's, at least one of which should tell how to
download and install linux.

I'm concerned that just saying

    http://www.debian.org/
    http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/
    http://www.google.com/linux
    http://www.phillylinux.org/

is inadequate for the non-geek.

Note that I don't want to enter into an ongoing intensive tech support
relationship with such friends, although I'm happy to answer a
question sometimes.  I would like the person to stand a chance of
deciding that linux would work for him (and, in this case, his
office, too).

Does anyone have any experience backed up by users providing feedback
that the links were actually useful and understandable?

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287