Mike Leone on 26 Aug 2006 15:58:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Using distribution lists in abook with mutt - SOLVED

Craig Pearlman wrote:
--- Mike Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
Eric wrote:
Back when I used Mutt (having devolved to KMail) I edited my .mutt-alias
file
to include items like this:

alias DEBATE <debater1@yahoo.com>, <debater2@comcast.net>,
<debater3@hotmail.com>, etc
and it worked like a charm. Have you tried this?
Yep. Doesn't work for outgoing. No alias does, actually, that I can see. mutt just seems to hand it off to the MTA with the alias name (no replacement of DEBATE with the addresses, to use your example). It tries to send it out as "DaGuys@localhost".

My mutt man page says that these things go in .muttrc now (though I think it's configurable; I didn't read it *that* closely).

Did a quick test; set up "alias test addr1, addr2". If I put "test" in the To
line, I got both of the addresses from the alias, not the word "test".

Using mutt 1.5.11.

I have this, in my muttrc:

source ~/mutt-aliases

In mutt-aliases, I have:

alias me Mike Leone <oozerdude@gmail.com>

If I send an email to "me", I get a bounce back that "me@localhost" is an unknown addess ...

This is the Postfix program at host mail.mike-leone.com.
<snip>

<me@localhost>: unknown user: "me"

UPDATE: ... apparently, I wasn't sourcing the aliases properly, since this test *did* just work, when the test above (that I did Friday) did not. I don't remember if I deleted the original line and recreated it or not.

And I wasn't properly separating the multiple addresses, because that, too, is now working.

As usual, it was user error, combined with user misunderstanding, that caused it all. Thanks everyone. :-)