Craig Pearlman on 26 Aug 2006 12:58:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Using distribution lists in abook with mutt

--- Mike Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
> Eric wrote:
> > Back when I used Mutt (having devolved to KMail) I edited my .mutt-alias
> file
> > to include items like this:
> >
> > alias DEBATE <debater1@yahoo.com>, <debater2@comcast.net>,
> <debater3@hotmail.com>, etc
> >
> > and it worked like a charm.  Have you tried this?
>
> Yep. Doesn't work for outgoing. No alias does, actually, that I can see.
> mutt just seems to hand it off to the MTA with the alias name (no
> replacement of DEBATE with the addresses, to use your example). It tries
> to send it out as "DaGuys@localhost".

My mutt man page says that these things go in .muttrc now (though I think
it's configurable; I didn't read it *that* closely).

Did a quick test; set up "alias test addr1, addr2". If I put "test" in the To
line, I got both of the addresses from the alias, not the word "test".

Using mutt 1.5.11.

-Craig.

craig@blackfog.net                   cpearlma@yahoo.com
http://craig.blackfog.net            http://www.openroleplaying.org