Marc Zucchelli on 31 Aug 2006 17:35:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Debian cron question - root and the system wide file

--- Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 10:21:56AM -0700, Marc
> Zucchelli said:
> > I am running debian 3.1 sarge.  When I run crontab
> -e
> > as root, it displays the system wide crontab file
> that
> > has the username column and the run-parts
> commands,
> > the one that is in /etc/crontab.
> >
> > When I added a line to the file in crontab -e, I
> added
> > a username column because the rest of the lines
> had a
> > username column.  It didnt work until I removed
> the
> > username column.  Next, I edited /etc/crontab
> > directly, and it didnt have the lines I added
> while in
> > crontab -e, and it would only work while editing
> > /etc/crontab directly if I used a username column.
> >
> > Later, I found out that root has a separate file
> in:
> > /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
> > and that is the file I was editing with crontab
> -e, no
> > wonder the username column didnt work.
> >
> > My question is, why are there all those run-parts,
> and
> > cron.daily lines, WITH a username column in:
> > /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
> > when they are already in /etc/crontab where the
> > username field actually works.
> >
> > My other question is, can I remove these lines
> from:
> > /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
>
> The lines from the run-parts cron jobs should not be
> in root's crontab.
> Something has gone slightly screwy on your system.
> What cron are you
> using?

I dont know how to check the version, but the bottom
of the man page has vixies email address.  It would be
whatever version comes with the default install of
debian.

Is it possible debian made a mistake with that one?