Marc Zucchelli on 31 Aug 2006 17:56:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Debian cron question - root and the system wide file

--- Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 10:34:48AM -0700, Marc
> Zucchelli said:
> > I dont know how to check the version, but the
> bottom
> > of the man page has vixies email address.  It
> would be
> > whatever version comes with the default install of
> > debian.
> >
> > Is it possible debian made a mistake with that
> one?
>
> Anything's possible, but I'm using the sarge version
> of vixie cron on
> roughly 100 systems without this problem, so I'm not
> quite sure that the
> problem is there yet.  Is it possible that at some
> point you cat'ed
> those files to | crontab - by mistake?  Do you see
> error messages in the
> logs about those broken cron entries?
>
> I'm having a hard time understanding
> a) how this could have happened
> b) how this could have worked

I just found these 2 lines in my syslog file:

Aug 31 13:17:01 oak /USR/SBIN/CRON[28178]: (root) CMD
(   run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Aug 31 13:17:01 oak /USR/SBIN/CRON[28182]: (root) CMD
(root    run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

I'm assuming the first line is from /etc/crontab, and
the second line is from roots crontab which has a
username because it has "root" at the beginning of the
command.  Seems like it is running a "root" command
and probably failing because there isnt one.  I dont
know where to look for error messages though.  It
looks like it will be safe to remove these lines from
roots cron?