jazzman on 12 Sep 2006 03:53:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Odd CF Card Behavior...

Ok, this gets weirder and weirder...

I plugged the drive into my linux box and dmesg reports the following:

sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
Info fld=0xa00 (nonstd), Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
 sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.2-2, assigned address 3
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 3
sda: Write Protect is off
 sda: sda1 sda2

So I went into FDISK and attempted to verify the partition table and got
the following:

Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(0, 1, 1) logical=(0, 1, 2)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(1, 254, 63) logical=(32, 6, 14)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Partition 1: head 255 greater than maximum 16
Partition 1: sector 63 greater than maximum 62
Partition 1: previous sectors 32129 disagrees with total 2238
Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(2, 0, 1) logical=(32, 6, 15)
Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(62, 93, 63) logical=(1010, 0, 32)
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Partition 2: head 94 greater than maximum 16
Partition 2: sector 63 greater than maximum 62
Partition 2: previous sectors 1001951 disagrees with total 62589
30 unallocated sectors

It looks to me like the partition table got all screwy. But yet windows
reports the drive as one partition in "My Computer", though it shows TWO
partitions in Drive Manager. It's SUPPOSED to be one big fat partition.
The CAMERA seems to ignore the partition table and just read directly I
guess, not that that makes any sense to me, but I just got back from
driving across the state after helping a friend watch her 3 year old
daughter all weekend so my brain isn't working well.

Does anyone know how to correct this so the OS sees ONE partition liek
it's supposed to and do it WITHOUT destroying the data on the drive... i
kinda need the files...  Anyone know of any ways (using dd I think it
can be done but I"m terrible with dd. Any help would be REALLY
appreciated) to get the data off safely? Once it's off I can zero out the
ENTIRE card and start over... I can't tell if the card is dying or if the
partition table is all screwy, thus causing many many problems...

THanks for the continued help, all :)
Marc