Jeff Abrahamson on 10 Sep 2006 22:08:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Odd CF Card Behavior...

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 01:21:54AM -0400, jazzman@exdomain.org wrote:
>   [24 lines, 219 words, 1310 characters]  Top characters: et_ainor
>
> Hey all, quick question and I think Linux may end up being a key to the
> answer here.
>
> I have a cheapo $99 Aiptek palm digital video recorder... takes 640x480
> video and some nice 3.1 megapixel stills and fits in your pocket with room
> to spare... It takes a CF card and I have a Lexar 512 in there. The
> problem is that since I started using the lexar (i believe the chip may be
> questionable, or maybe the formatting of it since i had to repartition it
> once or twice cause i Used it to play with netbsd on an old HPC) the pics
> and vids I take with the camera show up on the chip and i can see them
> fine ON the camera, but when i try to view them on a PC it can't read
> them. Is there a way I can copy them off (maybe byte by byte... id unno)
> and hopefully get them to work. It's so bizzare, they're there and I can
> see them on the camera, but I can't get them OFF of the camera. I've tried
> USB, I've tried puttin the card in a card reader, I've tried 2 or 3
> different PCs... nada...

If you have a USB CF card reader, then linux will think the card is an
IDE drive, so you can do all the fun things you like with IDE drives:
dd, etc.

That said, watch kern.log.  The one time I had a problem like this,
the card was failing.  I eventually got everything off, but a few pics
were touch and go for a while.  I just tried to mv the files until it
finally worked.  Also, some card readers are sometimes more tolerant
than others.  Your camera is probably reading a thumbnail rather than
the whole image, so it's ok because it's doing something that's stored
on different blocks.

To confirm the card's health, after all the data you care about is
recovered, do a low-level format with "mkfs -c".  RTFM for details,
there are lots, but a vanilla "mkfs -c /dev/sdc" (use the right
device) is a good first approximation.  Watch syslog for the device
info and for any errors.  (Errors will go to kern.log, also, if syslog
is too active on your machine.)

HTH.  Good luck.

--
 Jeff