tom . hornberger on 11 Sep 2006 02:23:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Wiring a house (was Re: Ethernet Cable Specs)

<snip>
> Does it take some practice to get those things punched down right -
> I mean, is there a lot of dexterity involved?  Seems like there might
> be.

The Leviton jacks come with a plastic punch down tool (and directions).  It's
easy to use.  I have a few jacks I installed and I plan to buy the wiring
panel and other pieces to put in my basement.  The 568A wiring is actually
the recommended wiring standard but most people use the 568B standard.  The
568B standard is the same as the AT&T ISDN standard that's why a lot of older
IT installs used it.  The actual EIA/TIA standard recommends 2 coax and 2 UTP
per plate minimum.

HTH,
Tom