Bob Heise on 14 Sep 2006 20:51:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] linux-friendly router with printserver?

torsdag 14 september 2006 12:58 skrev Greg Helledy:
> I have my linux desktop connected to a little old PC which acts as a
> firewall, dialup gateway, and printserver.  It runs linux (SME Server
> 6.0).  The printserver is set up in raw mode (the print driver is on the
> desktop).
>
> I am sick of dialup and decided to try Verizon's $15 DSL.  However, my
> firewall PC has only one PCI slot and will require 2 network cards for DSL.

If you need one I'm sure I have an ISA network card around here you could
have ;), though from reading on I'm guessing that's not the solution you're
after.

> I am thinking of ditching the firewall PC altogether and replacing it
> with a router, but want to keep the printserver capability.  Of course
> these are available but some seem to require windows-only software
> installed on the client machine.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a combined router/printserver,
> that doesn't require windows, and handles parallel port printers as well
> as USB, and is wired?  Like this:
> http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-FR114P-Firewall-Router-Server/dp/B00006B9HP
Hmm, I don't see any mention of USB on the technical details page. Then again
it _does_ have "Smart Wizard and Install Assistant for basic parabeter[sic]
settings", oh boy parabeters!

> It's $80 on amazon.  Is this what I should be looking to spend?
>
> Greg Helledy

-Bob Heise