Randy Schmidt on 22 Sep 2006 16:04:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu + RAID5

I'm the highpoint 1640. The individual drives do show up when I first
boot without loading the module. I have gone back and forth on whether
I should do a software raid or a hardware raid. I went about setting
up a software raid first but ultimately settled on doing it the
hardware way. I like that the hardware will tell me when there is a
problem with one of the drives.

When I had tried software raid, I used mdadm and went looking for
tutorials/guides. I followed the steps and everything worked until I
rebooted. Also, I couldn't find good information on the full lifecycle
of a software raid. What happens when a drive fails? how do I make it
start up when the system is rebooted?

Anybody have words of wisdom on pros/cons of software v. hardware raid?

Thanks,
Randy

On 9/22/06, Will Dyson <will.dyson@gmail.com> wrote:
On 9/20/06, Randy Schmidt <x@altorg.com> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I am currently putting together a RAID5 with 4 300 gig disks. I
> installed everything, created the raid in the RAID card bios, zeroed
> it out, compiled the drivers in ubuntu 6.06, inserted the module, and
> created a partition that was the whole drive (900 gigs). Here are some
> issues I am having:
>
> 1. I go to create the filesystem with "sudo mkfs.ext2 -j /dev/sdb1"
> and it starts to write the inode tables like normal, but it takes
> forever! it got about 1/6 of the way through in ~24 hours. I didn't
> think this was normal since it takes approximately 5 minutes for a 300
> gig drive. The machine it is on is a P4 2.4 ghz processor with 1 gig
> of ram.

You don't mention which card you are using, of the several chips that
are supported by the out-of-tree and propriatry hpt374 driver.

If it is one of the older cards without any actual hardware raid
functions, you are much better off using the normal linux drivers to
see the individual drives + linux software raid. The most recent
release of hpt374 seems to be more than a year old, and the built-in
software raid has recieved much more testing than any vendor driver.

When you boot (before inserting the hpt374 module), does your kernel
detect the individual drives?

--
Will Dyson

Randy Schmidt