Will Dyson on 22 Sep 2006 15:56:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu + RAID5

On 9/20/06, Randy Schmidt <x@altorg.com> wrote:
Hi all:

I am currently putting together a RAID5 with 4 300 gig disks. I
installed everything, created the raid in the RAID card bios, zeroed
it out, compiled the drivers in ubuntu 6.06, inserted the module, and
created a partition that was the whole drive (900 gigs). Here are some
issues I am having:

1. I go to create the filesystem with "sudo mkfs.ext2 -j /dev/sdb1"
and it starts to write the inode tables like normal, but it takes
forever! it got about 1/6 of the way through in ~24 hours. I didn't
think this was normal since it takes approximately 5 minutes for a 300
gig drive. The machine it is on is a P4 2.4 ghz processor with 1 gig
of ram.

You don't mention which card you are using, of the several chips that are supported by the out-of-tree and propriatry hpt374 driver.

If it is one of the older cards without any actual hardware raid
functions, you are much better off using the normal linux drivers to
see the individual drives + linux software raid. The most recent
release of hpt374 seems to be more than a year old, and the built-in
software raid has recieved much more testing than any vendor driver.

When you boot (before inserting the hpt374 module), does your kernel
detect the individual drives?

--
Will Dyson