Chad Vogelsong on 25 Sep 2006 14:59:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Myth TV, computer hardware store, and TV & internet service

I've had a MythTV box for about 2+ years now, upgraded to the most recent stable. When I was first starting, the best source for installation step-by-step was Jarod Wilson. He's a RHCE and he maintains great instructions for Fedora Core & MythTV on his site.

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php

You can use whatever distro you like, but his instructions are geared toward Fedora 4/5. He has about 5 MythTV boxes running around his place.

I use Comcast for TV (analog) & Internet also. I have the cable split to 2x PVR-250's and use an nVidia G? MX400 64MB (pretty sure) for RCA output to a 52in RCA HDTV monitor (I don't get HDTV service. Not worth the cost right now.).

I use a AMD Athlon 1800+ / 256 MB / 2x 160 GB / Fedora 5 with a low profile case. The remote that comes with the PVR-250 works great. It could use another 256 MB of RAM, but other than that, it works great.

Chad

plug.20.chth@xoxy.net wrote:
Hi there!

Has anybody here recently set up a Myth TV box? I just moved to the south-west side of center city and am planing to set one up at my place. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options (especially but not only on the hardware side) and would like to take a look at other peoples' setups. I saw the slides to the Myth TV presentation at a past PLUG meeting. I'd like to custom build the computer, install Kubuntu on it and then put Myth TV on it to serve as both a server for other frontends on the network but also a frontend. Also, is there a good computer hardware store that can be reached from Philly without a car? (If not, what's the clostest computer hardware store you can recommend?)

I currently have Comcast cable for TV and high-speed internet, but am wondering if there might be better options (so far I've only identified Verizon and Speakeasy DSL as possible internet alternatives). I'd appreciate hearing your experiences. I've also read on some of the Myth TV documentations that with the right satellite setup one can receive quite a few unencrypted (international) channels. Does anybody here have any experience with that?

Thanks,
Christoph