Art Alexion on 26 Sep 2006 13:57:05 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Confessions of a Virgin

On Monday 25 September 2006 10:17, Paul L. Snyder wrote:
> Quoting "Paul L. Snyder" <plsnyder@drexel.edu>:
> > Quoting Nate Prentice <nateprentice@yahoo.com>:
> >> I'm aggravated by the fact that there are many plugins, e.g. Real, WMP,
> >> etc. that are missing.  Any suggestions?
> >
> > Try Automatix.
> >
> >   http://www.getautomatix.com/
>
> Hm, looks like I gave some old advice.  Automatix was deprecated in favor
> of EasyBreezy, and EasyBreezy was deprecated in favor of EasyUbuntu.
>
>   http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/

If you are using an Ubuntu flavor, I'd suggest first going to the Ubuntu wiki
and searching for Source-o-matic.  This web page lists and explains most of
the available software repositories and allows you to dynamically create a
sources.list file after you make your selections.  There are some good
repositories listed for multimedia.

Then, make sure you have installed the w32codecs package

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install w32codecs

If you use Kubuntu, the kaffeine player handles everything but the newer WMV
codecs  pretty well.  I haven't launched realplayer for as long as I can
remember.

Mplayer handles the most of the MS WMV formats that kaffeine can't, but the
interface is awful compared to kaffeine and it seems to have more problems
with A-V synchronization.

My two biggest suggestions, though, are participate in groups such as this
one.  Most of the success I have had with Linux since 2000 can be attributed
to help that I have gotten here, not just by asking questions, but also by
reading about issues that others are having and suggestions that they are
getting.

The other suggestions are to have patience with any problems that you are
having.  Most worthwhile things I know about computers, I learned from fixing
a problem.

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.