ARTHUR ALEXION on 7 Oct 2006 17:44:06 -0000

[PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

I put this upgrade off for a while; just had a feeling
it would go badly.

Originally ubuntu warty from CD.  6-10 months later,
upgraded via 'apt-get dist_upgrade' to hoary.  6-10
months later, upgraded via 'apt-get dist_upgrade' to
breezy.  All well but, edgy out, so I thought the bugs
were out of dapper.

This time 'apt-get dist_upgrade'  was stubborn.  Had
to manually remove some packages and run 'apt-get -f
install' many times, then install "held back" packages
with 'apt-get install <held_back_packagename>'.  Then
had to manually run apt-get install kubuntu_desktop.
Finally looked like all was well.

But now won't complete init.

System will boot from /dev/hda  gets to initializing
root file system in graphical boot screen, then falls
to char mode with many Segment Faults! and finally
complains that /dev/hda2 (root file system partition)
does not exist and I get a default prompt with few
built in commands.

When booting from Kubuntu or Knoppix live CDs
everything is OK on hda2.

Help, please.