sean finney on 7 Oct 2006 18:48:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

hi art,

On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 10:43 -0700, ARTHUR ALEXION wrote:
> This time 'apt-get dist_upgrade'  was stubborn.  Had
> to manually remove some packages and run 'apt-get -f
> install' many times, then install "held back" packages
> with 'apt-get install <held_back_packagename>'.  Then
> had to manually run apt-get install kubuntu_desktop.
> Finally looked like all was well.

my guess is that this has something to do with the problem though.
without a full list of the stuff that broke and the stuff that was
uninstalled, one can only make wild guesses :/

> System will boot from /dev/hda  gets to initializing
> root file system in graphical boot screen, then falls
> to char mode with many Segment Faults! and finally
> complains that /dev/hda2 (root file system partition)
> does not exist and I get a default prompt with few
> built in commands.

what's segfaulting?

i'd start with reinstalling some of the packages involved in the first
steps of a bootup. specifically:

- your kernel (linux-image-2.6-686 or similar)
- your bootloader
- your init subsystemsystem
- ubuntu-standard

if you haven't had to do it before, it's not to hard to get into your
system to make these changes by doing the following:

- boot off a rescue cd / installer cd
- mount your root filesystem onto something like /target
- chroot /target
- mount -a (make sure  /proc and /sys get mounted)
- do your stuff
- unmount all your filesystems
- reboot.