ARTHUR ALEXION on 7 Oct 2006 19:08:17 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

--- sean finney <seanius@seanius.net> wrote:

> hi art,
>
> On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 10:43 -0700, ARTHUR ALEXION
> wrote:
> > This time 'apt-get dist_upgrade'  was stubborn.
> Had
> > to manually remove some packages and run 'apt-get
> -f
> > install' many times, then install "held back"
> packages
> > with 'apt-get install <held_back_packagename>'.
> Then
> > had to manually run apt-get install
> kubuntu_desktop.
> > Finally looked like all was well.
>
> my guess is that this has something to do with the
> problem though.
> without a full list of the stuff that broke and the
> stuff that was
> uninstalled, one can only make wild guesses :/

Was well over 220 packages held back or wouldn't
install/upgrade.  I didn't keep a list as most
installed after I removed some stuff.  The stuff I had
to remove were ktorrent, dovecot and apache/myphpmoney
(none of which I was using).

> > System will boot from /dev/hda  gets to
> initializing
> > root file system in graphical boot screen, then
> falls
> > to char mode with many Segment Faults! and finally
> > complains that /dev/hda2 (root file system
> partition)
> > does not exist and I get a default prompt with few
> > built in commands.
>
> what's segfaulting?

I can't tell due to that graphical startup screen.
The graphical startup screen gets to "initializing
root file system" before dumping me to the char mode
screen.  I tried different tty screens to see the char
mode from the beginning, but not successful.

> i'd start with reinstalling some of the packages
> involved in the first
> steps of a bootup. specifically:
>
> - your kernel (linux-image-2.6-686 or similar)

How can I install this if I can't start the system.
Well, not quite, I can boot from an old kernel, 2.6.8.
 Should I try to boot with that?  X won't work with
that, but I assume I can do an apt-get or a dpkg.

> - your bootloader> - your init subsystemsystem

Re-install grub?  I think init is installed with
linux-image, right?

> - ubuntu-standard

Is that a package name or just shorthand for the base
system?

> if you haven't had to do it before, it's not to hard
> to get into your
> system to make these changes by doing the following:
>
> - boot off a rescue cd / installer cd
> - mount your root filesystem onto something like
> /target
> - chroot /target
> - mount -a (make sure  /proc and /sys get mounted)
> - do your stuff
> - unmount all your filesystems
> - reboot.

Sorry I asked about how before reading the whole
thing. :-(

Thanks, Sean.