Art Alexion on 8 Oct 2006 15:50:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

On Saturday 07 October 2006 17:53, sean finney wrote:
> for the kernel, looks like you're trying to install an older kernel
> which isn't in dapper.  try linux-image-686.  wrt your question about
> init, you probably want sysvinit

I succeeded in installing a newer kernel, and was able to boot before
reinstalling sysvinit.

Some minor problems with KDE 3.5.2 stuff that was deleted from my old install,
but not upgraded to the 3.5.4 versions. Shouldn't be a problem.

The only boot problem I still detect is that init stalls on HAL
initialization.  It complains that it can't create a file because the
directory already exists.  I was able to continue booting by pressing ctrl+c
and ctrl+d a few times.  Any suggestions here?  I will need to reboot to find
out the precise file overwriting problem and whether ctrl+c or d was what did
the trick.

Thanks for the help, Sean.

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC