TuskenTower on 12 Oct 2006 14:05:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Myth TV, computer hardware store, and TV

On 10/11/06, Kevin Brosius <cobra@compuserve.com> wrote:
Check out the info at their web site: http://www.pchdtv.com/

It does include an ATSC tuner, and the newer model does cable/QAM
decoding also.

A quick FYI, the cable companies might be encrypting their HD signals. I don't know what Comcast is doing. ... I just did a quick search and it seems that the FCC might be requiring cable companies to send broadcast HDTV unencrypted over their wires with even basic cable. I'll take a look at this when I get home and let everone know.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/107329.html

Hmm... AVSForum might have this information already if QAM is sent in
the clear or not.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=453241
Ok, it looks like Comcast is sending all broadcast station over the
cable line on unencrypted QAM.  From the ecoustics.com forum, it seems
that not all cable companies are applying encryption the same way (and
there is no way for us to stop them from changing).

In any case, I'll try this at home and respond back.  I have to get
back to work now. :)

Amul