TuskenTower on 12 Oct 2006 13:45:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Myth TV, computer hardware store, and TV & internet service

On 10/11/06, Rich G <rgoodwin1@cox.net> wrote:
> I haven't set up MythTV yet because I live out in KoP and my reception
> isn't great.  I am using two pcHDTV 5500 cards with OpenSuSE Linux
> 10.1 and they work great.  Just compile in the supplied drivers and
> dtv software.  Don't bother with the supplied xine.  Since the cut-off
> date for HDTV is 2009 you might want to skip the NTSC TV tuner.

I'm a tad confused (not surprising but ...)  Your statement sseem to
conflllict one another - you haven't set <ythTV up but you are using 2
pcHDTV 5500 cards ....

I should have said: My OTA HDTV reception is crap because I live in KoP AND I live near the bottom of a hill. Because I have bad reception I'm spending my time on learning about antennas from the wonderful websites, www.hdtvprimer.com and (some) www.hdtvexpert.com. The AVSForums are also good for learning about things and asking (although no one responds to my questions there - I tend not to be very clear with what I want LOL). Hopefully the antenna I that just purchased comes in before Saturday and I can test it over the weekend. If it works, I'll start with the MythTV setup.

I'm curious since I did not have to "compile" in the drivers with SLED
10.  I did need to put the firmware files in the right sot
(/lib/firmware IIRC) for the 3000 cards.  In talking with Jack Kelliher,
President pcHDTV, you can (and should) use the 5500 drivers for the 3000
cards....
SLED 10 is not exactly the same thing as opensUSE Linux 10.1.  As you
know, it depends on SuSE to pick up the pcHDTV patches to include in
the distro.  You have a paid distro (AFAIK) and I have the free one.
That might explain the differences.  Also, I installed the x86_64
opensUSE.  That _might_ also affect which drivers SuSE shipped (I
don't know, so don't quote me).

As for "the supplied xine" ... pcHDTV does offer an HD version of xine
that you can download.  That may be advantageous for high resollutino
monitors on computer systems .....

You might be right, but the damn thing segfaults on me and since the Xine that can with opensUSE Linux 10.1, I haven't bother looking at the code.

I have Cox cable (I actually live outside Washington DC) and found the
signal to be rather bad - can't split it without serious loss to the
point the digital signal pixelates.  THis is a problem since I planned
on using two (2) HD cards  (2xpcHDTV 3000) and one SD (Hauppage PVR-350)
on the box.  Thus the splitted output is horrible.

 Someone recommended a bi-driectional amplifier.  I have not taken the
time to verify this will work without causing issues with Cox.  I raise
this for others to be aware of....

If you go on the AVSForums, search for this information (cause people are don't even tell you STFF with links to the right post). The splitter will reduce the signal power by the number of splits. I will also be investing in a distribution amplifier once I am sure I will actually get a decent OTA signal.

I bought the Silverstone LC-14M case.  After learning more, I'd rethink
it.  The case is perfect.  The change is, I would build a MythTV backend
with lots of storage and put that in the basement.  There fan sound is
not an issue (in my situation).  I'd then focus on a quite PC front-end
which I could replicate at a reasonable cost for various rooms (using a
wired network).  The Panda PC is a "cutesy" case - but that or a Shuttle
would be rather good.  Getting a good remote would be the last big
thing.

Good point. I was thinking the same thing, that the recording PC should be elsewhere with a small frontend player in the TV stand. I'm still waiting for a small Core 2 Duo box with DVI and digital audio out. Oddly enough the Mac Mini is the only small form factor box with those two options (I keep checking newegg for motherboards).

A co-worker of mine who is using a winDOwS based PVR said that his
recording requirements were pretty low.  He has a Hauppage dual tuner
card and ATI 550 with a 250GB 7200 RPM ATA disk (he just added a new
500GB SATA) and an Athlon 4000 (used to be top of the line, but its
not dual core).  He is able to record and watch TV without any loss in
frames or any significant performance hit.  I'm interested in seeing
how MythTV's backend and frontend performs.

Amul

PS: opensUSE Linux is an intentional spelling mistake of OpenSuSE Linux.