Rich G on 12 Oct 2006 00:15:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Myth TV, computer hardware store, and TV & internet service

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 14:06 -0400, TuskenTower wrote:
> On 9/22/06, Rich G <rgoodwin1@cox.net> wrote:
> > I am building one now.  I am using SuSe SLED.  KnoppMyth is ok for an
> > out-of-the-box or shrinkwrap type install.  There is a book that came
> > out in the past month - Hacking MythTV.  Barnes & Noble carries it.
> >
> > I bought the Silverstone case (LC-14M) and am using an ASUS MB.  For
> > tuner cards - I have two pcHDTV HD-3000  and one Hauppage PVR-350.  I
> > planned on putting the front & backend on the same box.  I'm rethinking
> > this now...
> >
> > The options can be overwhelming.  Start off with just the basic Myth and
> > initial plugins.  Getting a remote and advanced PVR is enough to start
> > with.
> >
> > As for buying in/near Philly, I bought everything online - no car
> > needed.  Microcenter is ok but that is only if you really need/want the
> > brick-n-mortar feeling.
> >
> > Rich
>
> I haven't set up MythTV yet because I live out in KoP and my reception
> isn't great.  I am using two pcHDTV 5500 cards with OpenSuSE Linux
> 10.1 and they work great.  Just compile in the supplied drivers and
> dtv software.  Don't bother with the supplied xine.  Since the cut-off
> date for HDTV is 2009 you might want to skip the NTSC TV tuner.

I'm a tad confused (not surprising but ...)  Your statement sseem to
conflllict one another - you haven't set <ythTV up but you are using 2
pcHDTV 5500 cards ....

I'm curious since I did not have to "compile" in the drivers with SLED
10.  I did need to put the firmware files in the right sot
(/lib/firmware IIRC) for the 3000 cards.  In talking with Jack Kelliher,
President pcHDTV, you can (and should) use the 5500 drivers for the 3000
cards....

As for "the supplied xine" ... pcHDTV does offer an HD version of xine
that you can download.  That may be advantageous for high resollutino
monitors on computer systems .....

> For your HDTV antenna, I would follow the recommendation of
> http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/GlossaryG.html#indoor and got the
> Silver Sensor from Amazon. The same HDTV site has a good comparison of
> antennas (http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html).  Always
> check AntennaWeb.org for proximity to TV towers.  AVSforum.com is also
> helpful (sometimes).
>
> DO NOT buy any RadioShack antennas (caveat, there is a new one from
> RadioShack that is said to be decent but its ~$50).  The Silver Sensor
> can be bought from Amazon for ~$20-25.  I have tried a RadioShack
> cheapo model and it was so bad that bending the coax cable at the RF
> output jack improved the signal.  I am using an unamplified Silver
> Sensor and I can pull in ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC.  I have purchased the
> LacrosseA from AntennasDirect.com to see if it can help pull in MTN
> (aka MyPHL), CW and PBS.

I have Cox cable (I actually live outside Washington DC) and found the
signal to be rather bad - can't split it without serious loss to the
point the digital signal pixelates.  THis is a problem since I planned
on using two (2) HD cards  (2xpcHDTV 3000) and one SD (Hauppage PVR-350)
on the box.  Thus the splitted output is horrible.

 Someone recommended a bi-driectional amplifier.  I have not taken the
time to verify this will work without causing issues with Cox.  I raise
this for others to be aware of....

> You're better off buying your components online.  Which you would have
> to do for a pcHDTV card and the Silver Sensor.

I bought the Silverstone LC-14M case.  After learning more, I'd rethink
it.  The case is perfect.  The change is, I would build a MythTV backend
with lots of storage and put that in the basement.  There fan sound is
not an issue (in my situation).  I'd then focus on a quite PC front-end
which I could replicate at a reasonable cost for various rooms (using a
wired network).  The Panda PC is a "cutesy" case - but that or a Shuttle
would be rather good.  Getting a good remote would be the last big
thing.