TuskenTower on 11 Oct 2006 18:06:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Myth TV, computer hardware store, and TV & internet service

On 9/22/06, Rich G <rgoodwin1@cox.net> wrote:
I am building one now.  I am using SuSe SLED.  KnoppMyth is ok for an
out-of-the-box or shrinkwrap type install.  There is a book that came
out in the past month - Hacking MythTV.  Barnes & Noble carries it.

I bought the Silverstone case (LC-14M) and am using an ASUS MB.  For
tuner cards - I have two pcHDTV HD-3000  and one Hauppage PVR-350.  I
planned on putting the front & backend on the same box.  I'm rethinking
this now...

The options can be overwhelming.  Start off with just the basic Myth and
initial plugins.  Getting a remote and advanced PVR is enough to start
with.

As for buying in/near Philly, I bought everything online - no car
needed.  Microcenter is ok but that is only if you really need/want the
brick-n-mortar feeling.

Rich

I haven't set up MythTV yet because I live out in KoP and my reception isn't great. I am using two pcHDTV 5500 cards with OpenSuSE Linux 10.1 and they work great. Just compile in the supplied drivers and dtv software. Don't bother with the supplied xine. Since the cut-off date for HDTV is 2009 you might want to skip the NTSC TV tuner.

For your HDTV antenna, I would follow the recommendation of
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/GlossaryG.html#indoor and got the
Silver Sensor from Amazon. The same HDTV site has a good comparison of
antennas (http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html).  Always
check AntennaWeb.org for proximity to TV towers.  AVSforum.com is also
helpful (sometimes).

DO NOT buy any RadioShack antennas (caveat, there is a new one from
RadioShack that is said to be decent but its ~$50).  The Silver Sensor
can be bought from Amazon for ~$20-25.  I have tried a RadioShack
cheapo model and it was so bad that bending the coax cable at the RF
output jack improved the signal.  I am using an unamplified Silver
Sensor and I can pull in ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC.  I have purchased the
LacrosseA from AntennasDirect.com to see if it can help pull in MTN
(aka MyPHL), CW and PBS.

You're better off buying your components online.  Which you would have
to do for a pcHDTV card and the Silver Sensor.

HTH
Amul