Sean C. Sheridan on 11 Oct 2006 14:30:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cname lookups

> So... you're trying to locate publicly-accessible hosts providing
> services other than HTTP[S]

No, I'm looking for the fastest method to locate publicly available http
servers for a particular domain.  I have no interest in non-http services.

> (which you could just get by descending
> publicly-accessible web pages with an HTTP client)?

Doesn't this assume there is a link from the main domain to the sub
domain?  Specifically that somebody took the time to link to the sub
domain via a web page?  (Just because a link is not present doesn't
preclude the possibility that a server is public).  Assuming they did, I
need to find that particular webpage from hundreds of thousands of
possibilities.

It seems inefficient to send a spider out for this purpose and query every
page I find for links to potential sub domains.  I was hoping the DNS
query could be used to quickly find the answer.  Given a choice I'd think
it much more neighborly to query one dns server one time vs umpteen
million http head requests.

Since the answer is, apparently, that I need a spider I ask again... any
good books on spiders?  Is the Spider Hacks (O'Reilly) book any good?  Has
anyone seen the new O'Reilly book?

Sean C. Sheridan
scs@CampusClients.com

Campus Party, Inc.