Stephen Gran on 6 Oct 2006 18:04:25 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cname lookups

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 01:26:39PM -0400, Sean C. Sheridan said:
> Ok, forgive the noob question...
>
> I'm trying to find a way to generate a list of servers on a particular
> domain.  In my mind the records I need are cname records.  But I can't
> seem to generate a meaningful response...
>
> By way of example, let's try Upenn.
>
> I am trying to locate domains such as:
> isc.upenn.edu
> www.cis.upenn.edu
> www.rad.upenn.edu

[snip]

> Any thoughts?

upenn.edu apparently does not allow axfr's to arbitrary hosts, so it's
unlikely this approach is going to work.

Let's take a step back - what are you trying to do?  Map out the network?
Just figure out what all the subdomains are?  You can probably roughly
map the network with public information (whois, plus rDNS queries for
every address in the whois info), but getting a list of forward lookups
that are subdomains is going to be harder.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Modesty:  The gentle art of enhancing   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | your charm by pretending not to be      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | aware of it.   -- Oliver Herford        |