bergman on 6 Oct 2006 18:51:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cname lookups

In the message dated: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:19:08 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from "Sean C. Sheridan" on
<Re: [PLUG] cname lookups> were:
=> Stephen,
=>
=>
=> I'm trying to identify publicly accessible subdomains on a variety of .edu

Just because a domain is publically accessible doesn't always mean that it
should be accessible, or that the content is intended to be searched.

Following CNAMEs is not going to be very comprehensive or reliable. As you've
found, many sites prohibit arbitray domain XFERs, especially recursive
transfers. It's not 1993 anymore.

=> domains.  We're considering developing an "education search engine".

I don't know your business plan or anything, but how's that different from
google, with the proper parameters?

If you're looking for content that's actually meant to be searched, approaching
the question from the point of view of the content, rather than the hosts, may
be more appropriate. In other words, spider the public web sites in order to
map the site and build your search engine. Ooops, I've described
$COMMERCIAL_SEARCH_ENGINE.

Any other kind of network discovery may well be viewed as hostile, and blocked.

Mark "not speaking for Penn right now" Bergman

=>
=>
=> Sean C. Sheridan
=> scs@CampusClients.com