gyoza on 14 Oct 2006 01:39:27 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Alternate Ink Cartridges

high_desert wrote:
I'd heard of a hardware ink cartridge reset device, but I'd like to try the software one - any names or links? My understanding is that the printer driver guesses how much ink you're using and that is decremented from the chip on the cartridge; and that the actually physical amount of ink is not actually measured! One cartridge was about a third full and the printer reported it was empty. I swapped the chip from a known good but empty cartridge onto a el cheapo cartridge that wasn't recognized by the printer - and the printer then recognized it, but reported it was empty. I'd love to reset mine. Especially as the printer wont even print in B&W unless it thinks there is at least some ink in _all_ the cartridges.

Here is a utility for (lowers voice) Windows: http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

I don't know if there is one for Linux. In either case, I would recommend the hardware-based chip reset'er. I bought one for about $6 total on ebay.

That gives me an idea. If there is a chip that can be moved, then I could move the chip to the 450-page cartridge from the 150-page cartridge and reset it. Something tells me HP, again, would be more difficult to deal with. Hopefully just putting a new higher cartridge in will just work. (Good luck, Self.)