Will Dyson on 14 Oct 2006 08:52:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] RAID cards

On 10/10/06, gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> wrote:

I guess I can see this being kind of convenient on a workstation
with RAIDed disks when the user wants to swap the motherboard out
but keep their data... so, um, yeah. I have a very hard time caring
about that case. RAID for workstations is like getting a vault door
on your apartment. Sure, it provides greater reliability of your
data / physical security, but you could just actually do backups
of the data that actually matters / make friends with your neighbors.

Maybe I'm missing something... why would YOU want this?

Haha. Good question. I guess the best reason would be to provide a standard way to boot software raid sets. So not any good reason for such a complicated spec (which is actually fairly unlikely to catch on with software "raid chip" vendors anyway).

Then again, even those with daily backups might not like the idea of
loosing a day's worth of work/data if the raid controller does freak
out at a bad time. Not the kinda thing that would be at the center of
my purchasing decisions, but a nice touch. Just to know that I could
use another controller to get my data if I had to.

--
Will Dyson