gabriel rosenkoetter on 5 Oct 2006 23:16:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] RAID cards

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 12:54:59PM -0400, Will Dyson wrote:
> A while back, I remember seeing a proposal for a standardized on-disk
> format for hardware and software raid. I had thought that the major
> vendors were on-board with the idea, but I haven't heard anything
> since (from card vendors or the Linux MD/DM maintainers).

Care to reference a url on that?

I am inclined to find any such proposition laughable at best. The
idea that you could do this and have the format be bootable on even
two of the hardware architectures where the card was useable is a
support nightmare, if even technically feasible.

I routinely use same-spec PCI cards in i386, macppc, and sparc64
systems and, if I had any, would want to be able to in an
Intel-based mac. For those specific examples, this can be a bit
clumsy (since made-for-i386 PCI cards don't present themselves
terribly well to OpenFirmware), but it works plenty well enough,
even for devices providing storage resources. Saying that your
PCI-compliant device is useable only on a subset of systems with
standard-compliant PCI busses is a really good way to get horrible
industry press, even though it's not logically unreasonable.

Granted, my 3ware 9000-series RAID controllers are in an i386 machine
running FreeBSD with drivers and management interface provided by
the (card's) vendor, but if I were willing to go off in the rough
and write my own drivers and management interfaces to their (published)
API, I would fully expect that they didn't do anything assinine
with bit order (or anything else) that would make them non-functional
(or even just non-bootable) on a system with a different hardware
architecture than they'd anticipated.

I find it highly dubious that anybody would get all vendors
producing computers with PCI busses to sign on to such a
standardization unless it were codified as part of PCI, where it
really, really doesn't belong. Never mind that even if the choices
made at the time seemed like a good idea for an on-disk format,
locking into that prevents people from devising more efficient
methods.

The job of a device providing RAID is to take my bits and give them
back to me, providing redundancy in one of several ways defined at
the logical level, not at the physical level. Forcing a physical
standard on such devices is broken thinking.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net