gabriel rosenkoetter on 16 Oct 2006 12:02:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] RAID cards

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 04:51:59AM -0400, Will Dyson wrote:
> Then again, even those with daily backups might not like the idea of
> loosing a day's worth of work/data if the raid controller does freak
> out at a bad time. Not the kinda thing that would be at the center of
> my purchasing decisions, but a nice touch. Just to know that I could
> use another controller to get my data if I had to.

Um. If one of my 3ware 9506s dies I will replace it with (wait for
it) another 3ware 9506, and restore the RAID set config, assuming it
doesn't just come cleanly off the disks (which it "should"), from
the saved config that's on disks not managed by those and that's
backed up.

If I'm replacing a *failed* RAID card... why wouldn't I replace it
with one from at least the same vendor? (It is entirely possible
to migrate from a 3ware 8xxx or 7xxx series controller to a 9xxx
one... no reason to expect that to change.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net