Morgan on 17 Oct 2006 16:32:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux Compatible Laptop

Oh, That's a Lenovo Thinkpad t60. As a point of reference, mine was $2300 shipped to my door. That's spec'ed pretty nicely. It's my primary computer and I travel a fair amount.

I bought my sister an r60 just last week. From the reviews I read it's very close to the t60 for less. The t60 is the industrial grade option.

I also wanted to mention http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60

-morgan

Morgan wrote:
I bought a t60 earlier this year. I'd give the laptop a 10 for build quality, size and weight. It's the best mid-sized (14" screen, cd drive, full sized keyboard) laptop I've owned bar none. It also fits in an InCase Apple 13" laptop sleeve. The track pad is awesome.

I had a Dell D600 as a point of comparison. Before that I had a Micron Transport LT.

I'd give it about an 8 or 9 for Linux support. The wireless is so-so. I just use PCMCIA card. It sleeps but only wakes up 2/3 times. Basically everything else works fine.

Bluetooth works but I haven't done much with it other than probe for devices.

Google around, there are a number of how-tos.  I'm running fc5.

I'll be happy to answer specific questions if you have any.

-morgan

W. Chris Shank wrote:
My laptop is nearing the end of it's life. 3rd hard drive, wireless starting to get flakey, and now the lid clip is broken so i've got velcro holding down the screen down during transport. It's servered me well and surprisingly all the hardware Just Works with Linux, but it's time to get a new one before it dies completely. So I'm starting the search. Linux compatibility is my highest requirement. Second is screen size, followed by weight (lower is better). I realize the last 2 requirements are almost mutually exclusive.

Anyone have any good recomendations? I always heard the IBMs were pretty good and compatible, but now that Lenovo is in full swing with them, is that still true? I'd consider Apple, but it seems like they are very expensive. How well does Linux dual boot on them? My current laptop is an Asus whitebook. I'm considering staying with Asus, but I'm not sure how compatible they are now. Just wondering what others are using.

--
W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC

Security Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.