W. Chris Shank on 17 Oct 2006 16:13:07 -0000

[PLUG] Linux Compatible Laptop

My laptop is nearing the end of it's life. 3rd hard drive, wireless starting to get flakey, and now the lid clip is broken so i've got velcro holding down the screen down during transport. It's servered me well and surprisingly all the hardware Just Works with Linux, but it's time to get a new one before it dies completely. So I'm starting the search. Linux compatibility is my highest requirement. Second is screen size, followed by weight (lower is better). I realize the last 2 requirements are almost mutually exclusive.

Anyone have any good recomendations? I always heard the IBMs were pretty good and compatible, but now that Lenovo is in full swing with them, is that still true? I'd consider Apple, but it seems like they are very expensive. How well does Linux dual boot on them? My current laptop is an Asus whitebook. I'm considering staying with Asus, but I'm not sure how compatible they are now. Just wondering what others are using.

--
W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC