bergman on 18 Oct 2006 15:56:02 -0000

[PLUG] minimization of RH-based Linux server config post-install?

I manage a number of Linux systems derived from RedHat (Fedora, ROCKS cluster,
Centos, RHEL). Usually, the servers come with a full installation, suitable for
a desktop workstation. For various reasons, it's not always possible or
preferable to erase the pre-installed OS and do a custom installation.

I'm looking for suggestions for minimizing an installed OS, by removing
RPMs, in order to increase security and reduce management. This philosophy is
well developed for Solaris (See: "Solaris Operating Environment Minimization
for Security: A Simple, Reproducible and Secure Application Installation
Methodolgy Updated for Solaris 8 Operating Environment" at
http://www.sun.com/blueprints/1100/minimize-updt1.pdf), but does seem to be
formalized for RPM-based Linux distributions.

Does anyone have suggestions, techniques, white papers, scripts, etc. for
removing unnecessary packages (and dealing with the inevitable dependency
issues)?

Thanks,

Mark

----